BUI Attorney in Honolulu

Providing Effective and Affordable Criminal Defense

Under Hawaii law, it is illegal to operate a boat while under the influence of alcohol. A person is considered to be “under the influence” if their blood alcohol content (BAC) is .08% or greater. A criminal charge of boating under the influence can be very serious, even if it is your first offense.

At The Law Office of Kevin O'Grady, LLC, we have handled hundreds of cases and have the experience to help you fight your boating under the influence charge. We will work with you to develop a strong defense strategy, and we will pursue all possible avenues to help you obtain the best possible outcome for your case.

Call (808) 521-3367 or contact us online today to schedule a free consultation with our Honolulu BUI attorneys.

What Is Boating Under the Influence?

Boating under the influence (BUI) is the legal term for operating a boat while under the influence of alcohol. This can include watercraft such as jet skis, sailboats, and kayaks, as well as motorboats, yachts, and other large vessels. Boating under the influence is a serious offense in Hawaii and can result in serious penalties.

A person is considered to be “under the influence” if their blood alcohol content (BAC) is .08% or greater.

What Are the Penalties for Boating Under the Influence?

Under Hawaii law, the penalties for boating under the influence depend on whether it is a first offense or repeat offense.

A first offense is a misdemeanorin Hawaii, and the penalties can include:

  • A maximum fine of $1,000
  • Up to one year in jail
  • Probation
  • Community service
  • A driver's license suspension

A second or subsequent offense is a felony, and the penalties can include:

  • A maximum fine of $10,000
  • Five years to life in prison
  • Probation
  • A driver's license suspension

It is important to note that the penalties above are the maximum penalties. In reality, most boating under the influence cases result in fines, community service, and license suspensions.

Protect Your Rights with an Experienced Honolulu BUI Attorney

Being charged with Boating Under the Influence (BUI) can have serious legal consequences, including fines, license suspension, and even jail time. It's crucial to have a knowledgeable and skilled BUI attorney on your side to protect your rights and build a strong defense. Our Honolulu BUI attorneys have a proven track record of successfully representing clients facing BUI charges and will work tirelessly to achieve the best possible outcome for your case.

When you choose The Law Office of Kevin O'Grady, LLC, you can expect:

  • Personalized attention and support throughout the legal process
  • Thorough investigation and analysis of the circumstances surrounding your BUI charge
  • Aggressive representation in negotiations and in the courtroom
  • Clear and open communication to keep you informed and involved in your case

Don't leave your future to chance - contact our experienced Honolulu BUI attorneys today to schedule a consultation and start building your defense.

Continue Reading Read Less

Common DUI Questions

  • What is considered to be a DUI in Hawaii?
    Like most other states, drivers found to be operating a vehicle with a blood alcohol content (BAC) level of .08% or higher will be arrested for DUI. In order to measure a driver's BAC, officers often subject drivers to breath tests, blood tests, or urine tests. In other instances, a police officer may ask a driver to participate in a field sobriety test. In Hawaii you can be charged with per se (BAC) and or with impairment (regardless of your BAC).
  • I was arrested for a DUI. When should I talk to a lawyer?
    Immediately. In the state of Hawaii, a police officer will issue an instantaneous driver's license revocation upon a DUI arrest. Your attorney can take steps to request and or preserve evidence early after your arrest and can also speak with witnesses or visit the scene close in time to your arrest. Your attorney will be able to represent you during this administrative hearing, as well as any type of criminal proceeding thereafter.
  • What will happen to my driver's license if I do not petition a license revocation?
    If you fail to take action and request a hearing in a timely manner, you could be jeopardizing your driving privileges. Upon arrest, an arresting officer will issue you a Notice of Administrative Revocation. This notice will serve as a temporary driving permit for 30 days. An in-person administrative hearing must take place within 24 days of receiving a Notice of Revocation. Failure to take action on a first-time DUI offense could result in a mandatory driver's license revocation for up to 1 year.
  • Is it required by law to take a breath or chemical test?
    You do have the right to refuse a breath or chemical test, however, you will also face possible penalties as a result of refusing a chemical test. Admittedly, chemical tests are prone to error and inaccuracy, however, it will be imperative that you listen to law enforcement officers. Refusal of a breath or chemical test could result in a license revocation for up to 2 years on a first-time offense.
  • What happens if I failed a field sobriety test?
    Do not assume that your case will rely solely on the results yielded during a field sobriety test! Even if you have failed a field sobriety test, these tests are not always accurate and often do not take in special circumstances of the person taking the test.

    For example, people with health issues, coordination issues, or sight issues may not perform in a way that would suggest sobriety. Additionally, other external factors, such as uneven roads, weather, stress, or improper administration by the police officer could lead to erroneous results.

Let's Fight Together

  • Charged with DUI or OVUII in Honolulu? Discover how we can fight for your freedom!
  • With a history of successful results. We can fight together.
  • Hear from my former clients. Although I focus on the facts and the ethics of a case, I also make it a point to take the time to get to know my clients.